Preparation Time : 30 mins
Cooking Time : 90 mins
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 large brown onion, halved, thinly sliced
- 2 tsp brown sugar
- 2 tsp wholegrain mustard
- 2 (about 600g) orange sweet potato (kumara), peeled, cut into 2cm pieces
- 1 sheet (27 x 27cm) ready-rolled frozen quiche shortcrust pastry, just thawed
- 185ml (3/4 cup) thickened cream
- 200g danish fetta
- 3 eggs, lightly whisked
- 2 tbs finely shredded fresh basil
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Heat the oil in a non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes or until soft and golden. Add the sugar and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes or until onion caramelises. Add the mustard and stir to combine. Remove from heat.
- Meanwhile, cook the sweet potato in a medium saucepan of boiling water for 5 minutes or until tender. Drain well.
- Line a round 22cm (base measurement) fluted tart tin, with removable base, with pastry and trim any excess. Place in the fridge for 15 minutes to rest.
- Cover the pastry base with non-stick baking paper and fill with pastry weights, rice or dried beans. Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes. Remove paper and weights, rice or beans. Bake for a further 10 minutes or until golden. Remove from oven. Reduce oven temperature to 180°C.
- Cover pastry base with caramelised onion and top with sweet potato and fetta. Whisk together the cream, egg, and basil in a jug. Pour into pastry base. Bake in oven for 40 minutes or until golden and set. Serve with, mixed green salad leaves or coleslaw.